Helpful Hints for Daily Skin Care
Posted on Oct 13th, 2015
After a long summer, it’s time to jump back into a great skin routine. Check out these helpful hints to keep your skin youthful and cancer-free.
- Pat your face dry. After washing your face, try patting or blotting your skin dry instead of rubbing it with a fabric towel. Rubbing your skin removes moisture from it and can cause dry, flaky skin.
- Stop showering excessively. Taking more than one shower a day can remove essential oils from the skin that are needed to help retain moisture. Mayo clinic also recommends bathing in warm water, instead of hot, to further prevent stripping your skin of these beneficial oils.
- Protect yourself from the sun. No matter the time of year, it is important to protect your skin from exposure to the sun, especially here in Florida. Purchasing a moisturizer with sunscreen is an easy way to stay protected. Always choose a sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher to offer adequate protection. Your dermatologist can help you choose the best brands for your skin.
- Shave carefully. Using shaving cream or gel can help moisturize your skin while shaving and protect against nicks and cuts. It is also important to shave in the direction your hair grows, and not against it. Shaving against the grain may save time, but it is a shortcut to razor burn.
- Use moisturizer. Regular use of facial moisturizer helps keep skin hydrated by increasing the moisture level of the uppermost layer of the skin.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Consuming nutrient-rich foods will not only help your entire body feel better, it will also give you better skin! Eating healthy foods leads to your skin absorbing more nutrients. Hydration is another important aspect of skin care. Without proper hydration, the skin can’t flush out toxins. Dehydrated skin will become inflamed or irritated and can result in breakouts. If you want healthy, glowing skin you should also avoid smoking as it causes wrinkles to form and will make your skin look and feel older.